Sunday, November 22, 2009

The world of a kiwi writer: Cat Connor

Gavin very kindly let me take over his blog for the day! Thank you Gavin, I appreciate it!

The world of a kiwi writer: Cat Connor

Let me quickly introduce myself (some of you probably don’t know me yet – man, you’re in for a treat! lol)

I’m Cat Connor. A New Zealander living in Wellington and I write thrillers, set in Virginia, USA. I’m writing a series currently known as the Ellie Conway or killerbyte series (but the search for just the right series title is underway.) Not only do I write international thrillers (from a NZ perspective everything is international) but my publisher is in South Africa and a percentage of every sale goes to an environmental fund.

I know, right? This from a kiwi chick.

The writing:

The writing of a book like killerbyte was easy really. I used a true event to kick it off and simply asked, “What is the worst case scenario?” and that alone gave me killerbyte. That true event, a collection of death threats aimed at me while I co-ran a chat room, back in the day of MSN chat. (If you remember that then you’re old enough to truly appreciate my books! –I’m kidding of course, I have it on good authority that any age group can enjoy my writing.)

The second book, terrorbyte, came about after discussing the fate of children with a mentally ill parent (once again in the chat room) with a very good friend.

You’ll have to wait until next year to hear about the 3rd and 4th books in the series.

The publishing:

All up, I’d written four Ellie Conway novels before finding a publisher. The road to publication is rocky at best and downright disheartening at worst. It took me quite a few bumps and sharp curves before landing on my feet with Rebel E Publishers. And I did land on my feet. I couldn’t ask for a more supportive publishers, or for a better editor, copy editor, and design company. I’ve loved every moment with Rebel. And it’s been a busy year!

In April this year, my publisher launched killerbyte on the world.
Killerbyte: When a poetic psychopath starts hunting and killing patrons in Special Agent Ellie Conway’s chat room, Ellie finds herself embroiled in an invisible killer’s twisted plan and battling to keep her sanity.

Killerbyte is now a finalist in the 2010 EPIC awards, mystery and/or suspense category. There are four finalists. I can’t wait until March, to see which of us wins!

In November this year, my publisher launched terrorbyte on the world.

Terrorbyte: Ellie Conway is back: wisecracking, kicking ass and using her psycho-prophetic talents to grapple with a murderer with ulterior motives, secreted behind a series of grotesque crimes.

You can find out more about me, my books, and my publisher with the following links –go ahead and check them out, you won’t be sorry.

Cat’s website: http://catconnor.wordpress.com/
Cat’s blog: http://catconnor.blogspot.com/
Rebel e Publishers: http://www.rebelepublishers.com/
Killerbyte http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/eBookDetails.asp?BookID=165352
Terrorbyte http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/eBookDetails.asp?BookID=240117&Origine=4580


Thanks for having me Gavin!


2 comments:

  1. You rock, Cat! Can't wait to read the third Ellie Conway novel.

    And, hey, readers, more from Cat in this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Sara! (You're awesome and man do you ROCK.)

    ReplyDelete